The YWCA TechGYRLS® seeks to empower young girls in the areas of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) and to encourage them to pursue careers within these fields, particularly for underrepresented girls. Our free programs will be offered in partnering schools and on-site at the YWCA.
TechGYRLS® has some exciting changes coming to life. TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM will expand from our current STEM approach to include an art component. STEAM takes STEM to the next level. It allows students to connect their STEM learning together with art practices, elements and design principles. Additionally, we are incorporating concepts from the Reggio Emilia inspired approach to learning that has been embraced by YWCA Child Care. This method emphasizes child-led learning and the classroom as a third teacher. With this in mind, TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM allows girls to take initiative and drive their experiences.
TechGYRLS® is a place to dream, explore new ideas, learn new skills, and be creative through STEAM activities. The YWCA TechGYRLS® is a national program created by YWCA USA in 1997, developed in response to the widening gender gap in exposure to an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Currently, women make up only 27.8% of Wisconsin’s STEM workforce. TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM works to inspire girls to take on challenges and pursue STEAM interests and careers to lessen the gap and bring an empowered female presence to the STEAM workforce.
Who can participate in TechGYRLS®?
- Girls in 4th and 5th grade from the community and in our partner schools.
When and Where?
- Watch for the updated schedule coming January 2021!
How do I register?
- For more information contact Suzanne Wittman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested in volunteering? Please send an email to email@example.com.
- TechGYRLS® thrives off of community partnerships, donations, and sponsorship. If you are interested in partnering with TechGYRLS® for an event, donating materials, or sponsoring enrollment, supplies, or events, contact CEO Renita Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (920) 432-5581 ext 132, or visit the YWCA at the address listed below.