The YWCA TechGYRLS® seeks to empower young girls in the areas of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) and to encourage them to pursue careers within these fields, particularly for underrepresented girls. Our free programs will be offered in partnering schools and on-site at the YWCA.
TechGYRLS® has some exciting changes coming to life. TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM will expand from our current STEM approach to include an art component. STEAM takes STEM to the next level. It allows students to connect their STEM learning together with art practices, elements and design principles. Additionally, we are incorporating concepts from the Reggio Emilia inspired approach to learning that has been embraced by YWCA Child Care. This method emphasizes child-led learning and the classroom as a third teacher. With this in mind, TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM allows girls to take initiative and drive their experiences.
TechGYRLS® is a place to dream, explore new ideas, learn new skills, and be creative through STEAM activities. The YWCA TechGYRLS® is a national program created by YWCA USA in 1997, developed in response to the widening gender gap in exposure to an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Currently, women make up only 27.8% of Wisconsin’s STEM workforce. TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM works to inspire girls to take on challenges and pursue STEAM interests and careers to lessen the gap and bring an empowered female presence to the STEAM workforce.
Who can participate in TechGYRLS®?
- Girls 2nd-8th grade, from the community and in our partner schools.
When and Where?
- TechGYRLS®: Running on STEAM is currently offered in Doty, MacArthur, and Howe as a Recess Alternative and Notre Dame as an After School Program.
- Girls enrolled in YWCA After School Care and YWCA Camp Downtown are also able to participate in TechGYRLS® workshops. Check our Calendar for scheduled camps.
- Additionally, the YWCA offers TechGYRLS® Camps on site open to the community and for specific groups.
How do I register?
- Register for our Recess Alternative and After School Programs through the partner schools listed above.
- Register for upcoming TechGYRLS® camps online through the YWCA web site.
- All of our programs are FREE!
- Interested in volunteering? Click here to apply.
- TechGYRLS® thrives off of community partnerships, donations, and sponsorship. If you are interested in partnering with TechGYRLS® for an event, donating materials, or sponsoring enrollment, supplies, or events, contact Youth Program Coordinator Tonie Bear at firstname.lastname@example.org or (920) 432-5581 ext 114, or visit the YWCA at the address listed below.
YWCA Greater Green Bay | 230 S Madison St | Green Bay, WI 54301